1. Make sure students keep cell phones off their desks and stored away. Cell phones and other hand-held devices contain calculators and can store files such as photos and small documents.
2. Do not allow anything except necessary test materials on desks and tables. Popular YouTube videos instruct students on how to make all sorts of cheat sheets, such as false water bottle labels.
3. Distribute multiple versions of each exam. e.g., same questions in different orders.
4. Be vigilant. Periodically walk among the desks. Students can slip cheat sheets out of their bags when professors aren’t looking.
4. Include an Honor System pledge on the exam, and have students copy or sign it before they submit their work. e.g., “I support the Georgetown Honor System.” or “I have neither received nor provided unauthorized assistance on this exam.”