For Investigating Officers
The following is a short list of general reminders for faculty members serving as IOs, condensed from a longer document regularly made available to IOs (“Reminders for Investigating Officers”). A copy of that document is available to any IO upon request.
- Generally, the investigation and filing of an Incident Report is expected to take two weeks from the date of the investigating officer’s initial receipt of the case.
- The Honor Council tries to keep the load balanced among IO’s. However, to do this effectively, we need all IO’s to be willing to investigate cases.
- If the student will not answer respond to e-mails, please let us know; it’s possible we can find another means of contact. Also, we like to stay generally informed of investigative difficulties.
- In addition to taking good notes when talking to students and faculty members, you should have the student review your summary of the conversation. It may be helpful to do the same with the faculty member to ensure you have described the facts of the allegation accurately.
- Please use the most recent version of the Incident Report form to write your report. You can find the form in the Box folder.
- In addition to the report and other documents you wish to upload, secure a statement from the accused student(s) and upload those to the Box folder.
- If more than one student is involved, please submit one Incident Report Form for each student. It’s okay to copy and paste between forms for the basics of the case and then give more details pertaining to each student’s particular involvement on his or her individual form.
- Don’t feel that you need to repeat basic information already included in the accusing faculty member’s statement. Anyone who reads your report (Honor Council staff or Hearing Board members) will have access to any background information.
- Never hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns. We recognize that each case is different, with unique subtleties that often require talking with experienced Honor Council faculty or staff members.